Naples, Florida is a paradise that has been discovered by many looking to own their piece of real estate on the Gulf of Mexico – including some notable celebrities.
Just like us average Joe’s, celebrities are drawn to Naples for it’s quiet sophistication, luxury homes and privacy. Most important to them, they can blend-in and not be harassed as is often the case in New York or LA. There are not many paparazzi or autograph hounds to bother them as they grab a bite on the terrace at Handsome Harry’s on Third Street South or browse at Waterside Shops.
Drawn to the tropical weather and upscale community, Naples has a large population of second home owners — many of whom are wealthy and may own several homes around the world. Celebrities are not much different in that regard. Some are full-time residents and others may live here only part-time or visit periodically when their schedules allow.
Larry Bird, former NBA star and coach owns a home in Naples. Mr. Bird continues to own a home in the community of Park Shore in Naples, FL (see photo to above).
The home, built to Mr. Bird’s specifications, is 6,007 square feet of living area with large media room and waterfront views of Venetian Bay from almost every room. For outdoor entertaining, the home features a tiki hut, summer kitchen and infinity edge pool overlooking the boat dock.
Other notable Naples celebrities include:
- Sean Hannity – the award winning conservative talk show host owns a penthouse condominium in the newest luxury beachfront residences of Moraya Bay Beach Tower.
- Mik Ditka – the legendary NFL player, coach and television commentator has owned a home in Wilshire Lakes since 2002.
- Alex Lifeson – the lead guitarist for Rush owns a condo in Pelican Bay.
- Bob Seger – the rock star owns a home in the prestigious waterfront community of Seagate and a condo in Kings Lake.
- Neal Boortz – the nationally syndicated talk radio host owns a condo penthouse in the Dunes.
- Peter Thomas – a popular voice-over artist, lives with his wife, Stella, in Olde Naples.
- Robin Cook – the writer is a Naples fixture who owns a Park Shore penthouse with views of the Gulf of Mexico and a secret rooftop hot tub.
- “Judge Judy” (Judith Sheindlin) – the television star and her husband live in the exclusive luxury enclave of Bay Colony in Pelican Bay. They live in an 8,550 square foot penthouse purchased in 2005 for $6,900,000. You may run into her at Costco, Waterside Shops or elsewhere around town.
- Matt Birk – Two-time All-Pro, six-time Pro Bowl & now Super Bowl XLVII champion center for the Baltimore Ravens retires and decides on Naples, FL as his new home. Matt loves going to dinner and never having to change out of his shorts and flip-flops. Naples jibes with his conservative values. He and his wife, Adrianna, believe it will be a great place to raise their six children.
- Giorgio Chinaglia – Soccer legend Giorgio Chinaglia lived in Naples in Royal Harbor until his passing April 1, 2012.
In the meantime, if you’re in Naples and run into any celebrities please let them be. Just like you, they deserve a little peace and quiet as they enjoy their homes and the beautiful white sand beaches Naples is famous for.