Tara-Nicholle Nelson of Trulia reports on how to get great home deals in today’s real estate market. Some of her bargain shopping suggestions are key strategies we suggest and use for our Naples home buyers looking for great deals.
- Research comparable sales to get a discount of the market value , not just the asking price.
- Regular sales can often be better deals than short sales or foreclosures.
- Be flexible – look for properties that have been reduced in price one or more times. White Sands Realty provides our clients with detailed listing histories showing each date and amount a home was reduced in price. This is great information but should be used in combination with comparable closed sales to find the true value priced homes for sale.
- Research Days on Market (DOM) – ask your Realtor for the average DOM in the location your looking for a home. For clients looking for Naples properties, we provide the ability to search for a range of DOM right on our Property Search. We also give them the current DOM for any community, just ask us.
- No low-ball offers. If you find a property that is priced right and do the research to know the price at which it’s a great deal, don’t get greedy or think you have to come in super low to get to the number you have in mind. Low-ball offers offend sellers and usually end all negotiations right there. You don’t need to low-ball if you do your homework first.
- Keep your mouth closed – Don’t rave about how much you love a home in front of the homeowner (we try to make sure they aren’t around during client showings) or insult the sellers by making a laundry list of things that you would do to the home to make the home “livable.” Remember they live there now and consider it their home. Offending a seller is not a good start for negotiating a great deal. Keep the numbers from your research at the forefront of all negotiations and avoid insults or unnecessary comments.